Just for records.
Tamil Nadu marching towards education and awareness.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Muthuvel Karunanidhi Stalin inaugurated 'Kalaignar Centenary Library' in Madurai, on account of TN former CM 'Kalaignar' Dr Karunanidhi centenary celebrations.
The library on New Natham Road would serve as a landmark structure in Madurai on the lines of Anna Centenary Library in Chennai.
The inauguration coincides with the Education Development Day declared by Tamil Nadu government on July 15 which is the birth anniversary of former CM K.Kamaraj who worked tirelessly for the eradication of illiteracy.
Constructed by TN PWD, in an area of 2.13 lakh sq.ft., at a cost of Rs 114 crore, towering six floors, the air-conditioned library will accommodate nearly 3.3 lakh books of different genres, including international-standard science books and its latest publications, historical books, and medical books.
* Books recommended by subject expert committees available in Tamil and English.
* Auditorium, with capacity to accommodate 700 persons, for hosting children’s programmes & science development.
* Studio for visually impaired persons, equipped with audiobooks.
* Learning centre on culture, art, science & technology, including virtual reality experience of operating a flight.
* E-library consisting of e-book versions of rare books, documents, palm leaf manuscripts, and manuscripts.
* E-books available in Daisy, MP3 and BRF formats.
PS: There is another 70 year old District Central Library in Simmakkal, Madurai. I was a member and used to visit every Saturday during my school days from 1992-1997.